Before going to sleep, I get on a new laptop I acquired and apply for a scholarship. I live in Britechester, so that should be easy to get.
Then, I go to sleep. Maybe when I wake up tomorrow, I'll be back at home in my real bed.
Nope. The second I open my eyes, I find myself still in this strange new house. And I have to get ready to go to a job I know nothing about. Conservationist: how hard could it be?
I'd quit my job, but I need the money. It doesn't pay much, which is why I think I'll attend one of the universities--to get a better job.
It's like I'm already settling in and preparing for a life here. A new thought occurs to me: Crap! Will I only have thirty days as a young adult? This sucks.
Work is weird. I vanish and then come back with memories of having worked the day. It reminds me of the idea behind Total Recall, the movie. I did, however, get a promotion.
I notice my mailbox shows I have mail.
I apply for the other two just because. Then, after looking around my house, I decide I can't stand not talking to anyone, so I head out. Being hungry, I choose one of the university commons lot to visit. They sell food, and I'm in the mood for more than just something in the 'quick meal' category.
I have a surprise waiting for me when I approach the cafeteria bar.
No. Way. I want to crack up laughing. That's Don Lothario. Another townie brought over from Sims 2. I'd played with his household A LOT. I loved his free-spirited approach, and it was fun to play the love-em-and-leave-em type.
My expression must be too easy to read.
"Hello, beautiful." He smiles. "See something you want?"
My stupid stomach flutters as I walk up to the counter. "Sure do," I reply, sounding braver than I actually am. "Herb-crusted salmon, please."
He winks. "Coming right up." Poof. It appears.
With a lopsided smile, I take it and go to have a seat. The entire time I'm eating, he doesn't do anything but stand there.
Calm down! So it's Don Lothario! Big deal! It's all I can do not to go fan-girl.
As it is, I manage to control myself. However, it is very nice to know that the sim Don Lothario noticed me--in a good way.
I don't do anything of significance for the rest of the day, and the following morning, I'm still here.
I have a crap day at work, though.
I go check my laptop to see if I'd gotten the scholarships, but there's been no response. I suppose I could just go to university anyway, but now that I've put in the application for the extra money, I should wait. ...even though my "job" is driving me crazy.
The next day, I get a promotion. It makes no sense. Whatever.
I spend my time largely fulfilling my basic needs. If I'm hungry, I eat. Bored, I play on my computer. Tired, I sleep. To be productive, I manage to write a few simple books. I self-publish. They don't pay much, but it's just a side thing anyway.
On my day off, I get a call from Angela Pleasant.
FROM HER GHOST? Wait, she died? When did that happen? I'm so shocked about this that I start reading the online newspaper. There's a piece a few days ago about the Landgraabs (ugh, more townies) adopting a child. Then, Nancy also up and dies.
"This isn't right!" I yell out to my empty house, knowing "they" can hear me. "What is all this chaos? Is anyone safe?"
All of a sudden, an amazing sense of calm fills me. It's as if something has been "fixed." I turn off my computer, having had enough weirdness for one day.
The next morning, I check my scholarship status again.
I got something! I received the scholarship for someone working and a kind of low-income one. I immediately take the day off, pack up my computer, and leave the house. In fact, I sell it.
I move into one of the dorms at Britechester.
I later find out the reason my application status took so long: I've been accepted into one of the "distinguished" degrees. I'm going for literature. I guess got I accepted into that since I'm a "published" author.
Moving into the dorms and having the scholarships means I have a full-ride. I get all the dough from selling the house plopped right into my bank account (that I don't remember opening, but it just adds to the weirdness). With that plus the bit of cash coming in every day from my books, I should have a nice nest egg when I finish university.
Again, it's like I'm starting to accept that I'm stuck here and may as well make the best of it. I scowl at the thought. Then, shrugging, I figure I'm too tired to think much about it today.
I wonder if Don Lothario is still working at the commons area...








No comments:
Post a Comment