I hire the lawyer that Mark recommended, and that turned out to be a good idea. The producers who want to turn my book into a film did agree to give me creative control, but there was a caveat that I wouldn't have seen had the lawyer not been present. The word "full" needed to be there or they could override me. That, and they were going to try and cheat me out of residuals. Thank goodness for Mark's advice.
The movie is going forward, and I dutifully submitted Mark's name as a possible Jarred, giving the casting director his audition reel. He's already got an audition scheduled for later this evening. Things move very fast sometimes in The Sims world.
When I walk into the apartment, I take a deep breath and consider how much one word could've cost me. Wording... I get an idea. What if I've been WORDING my search topics incorrectly?
I try 'artificial' instead of 'simulation,' and something I hadn't noticed came up. I snort and roll my eyes when I see the search engine should've easily found it with 'simulation' in the wording, but it never did. Now, I question whether or not I'm using a decent search engine. That, or maybe Geoffrey's work 'buddies' are making it purposefully difficult to find things on this topic.
Instead of focusing on the existence of parallel universes, this BBC centers around the idea of multiple layers of universes. They hypothesize that there is one base reality (duh) which creates artificial realities and that each subsequent reality then creates its own artificial realities which also create their own artificial realities until you get to having millions or billions of layers. Most agree there must be a floor to this because all the computational power would have to come from the base reality.
I chuckle when I read that someone posted that the base reality must be REALLY BORING if they felt the need to create all the artificial ones.
Wait, so does that mean my 'real world' is just a simulation in itself? I shake my head, turn off my computer, and decide to get some sleep.
Then I hear the elevator. Mark. I dash out to talk to him after spinning into some regular clothes. I want to know how the audition went.
"They loved me," he answers. "At least, they acted like they did. Of course, I'm waiting for the official phone call."
"I really want this for you."
"Thank you. I'm also hoping your sway will help me."
I smirk. "Helps to be sleeping with the writer, huh?"
He playfully glares. "You'd better know that's not the reason." He motions toward his door. "I could prove to you why, if you'd like."
I sigh. "I'm kidding. And I'm tired. Rain check?"
"Fine, but you owe me." He winks. Then, his expression turns a bit more serious. "Have you thought about auditioning for the role of Rebecca?"
"Me? But all I did was take a course in college. I'm no actress."
"Well, no one knows the character better than you." His beguiling smirk comes back. "And that would make work even better if it were YOU I was making out with on screen."
"I'll... think about it." Since when does the writer star in her own film? Um. I guess plenty, but that's usually because he or she acts first.
I kiss him goodnight and go back into my apartment.
The following morning, I do a job search.
I don't need to work. My books keep me busy, and then there are the meetings for Twilight Werewolves. But... I'm still feeling bored, kind of empty. And the actor career doesn't take up tons of time. Perhaps doing a commercial or two will at least give me a reel.
Done. I register with a talent agency. I choose the more personable one because money isn't an issue. I got a 50k signing bonus for the film, after all.
Later in the day, Mark lets himself in to my apartment. I'd given him a key.
I giggle and lead him to my bedroom.
It's good, sure, but for some reason, I get kind of moody. Mark just takes care of himself. To be honest, I don't care.
What is wrong with me?
The following evening, Mark is working late again for All My Sims. I get a surprise knock on my front door, though.
My stomach bounces up and down. Excitement? Probably nerves.
"Um... okay." This is going to be hard.
"Hi." This is weird. I'm actually very happy to see him. I want to hug him like I used to... but I don't think that's a good idea. "Come in." I gesture that he should come inside.
"Thank you." This feels too formal.
"This is a nice place. I like what you've done with it," he tells me, continuing to make it feel awkward.
"Thanks, but I didn't do much, just changed out appliances and such. The rest is how it was staged to begin with." Are we going to REALLY talk or is this some kind of tester conversation?
"Still. It's cozy."
He lets out a stiff laugh. "Small it is, but TOO small? No, I don't think so."
"Good because I don't need a lot of space." I hate the pain I see him try to hide. Does that mean I want romance? No. But still... "Geoffrey, I'd like to apologize."
"I was too harsh." I'm going to do it anyway. "I'm sorry if that hurt."
"There is no one here to blame but me. I'M sorry, Alice. I'm sorry for not telling you sooner. I'm sorry for trying to prevent you from leaving. I'm sorry I made you cry like that.
"Could you forgive me?" He's sincere. And he's really on his best behavior. He hasn't once tried to look down my dress. Those times before I just chalked up to him being a man but didn't think more about it.
"I want to say yes. To be honest, I've been avoiding dealing with it." I look down. "That's probably why I haven't responded to your texts or called you."
"I began to wonder, so I thought I'd try just visiting you. I figured the worst that could happen is you say 'go away,' and I could deal with that." He swallows. "I don't want to pester you, but... I MISS you, Alice."
"I miss you too." I see him wonder in what way I missed him. How could I not read this from him before? Denial?
I continue, "That doesn't mean that..." Crap. That's not totally true. "What I mean is..." Dammit! "Hell, I don't know, Geoffrey. I just missed you, okay?"
"Okay." He is studying the plum out of my face. What expression could be on it? Conflicted? I mean, I really, really missed him and had no idea until this moment just how much.
"I missed having someone to really talk to." That's true. Pretty much all Mark wants to do is bang it out.
He relaxes. "Me too. Eric at work is great and all, but he doesn't GET me like you do."
"Well, apparently, I didn't 'get' you enough." How could I not see it before?
He shakes his head no. "I did everything I could to hide it. The last thing I wanted to do was make you uncomfortable." Pop. They did it. He couldn't stop himself from looking down my dress for a quick moment. He adjusts his position. "How are you, Alice? I mean really."
I need to tell him I'm dating Mark, but how? "I'm okay, all things considered. Just missing my best friend."
I giggle. I want to hug him I'm so happy. But I don't. We're not there yet. "And how have YOU been?" I ask.
"Well, Bruno has been leaving printed-out news articles about the safety of motorcycles all over the house for me to find."
I crack up laughing. "He still hasn't given up, huh?"
We chat some more about things. I still can't figure out how to tell him I'm dating Mark.
Then Geoffrey gets serious.
"Listen to me for a moment." Uh oh. "I really do miss you. I won't say that things have changed, per se, but I don't want that to get in the way of us being friends. I suppose I still need to gather my thoughts on the matter as to what all this means, but I'm asking that you not shut me out anymore."
"I miss your friendship, Geoffrey." I'm sure to clarify. I'm not really attracted to him, not in that way, but I do love being around him, laughing and joking around.
He forces a smile. "Understood." He looks pitiful! I want to hug him and tell him everything will be okay, but I also don't want to make this harder.
He stays for a while longer, and we chat about different things,
occasionally laughing, occasionally suffering an awkward silence. Then,
he announces he has to leave, and I give him a light hug bye.
I still didn't tell him about Mark, though. Crap.----------------------------------------------------------------------



















.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment