I've taken over Malcolm's old room. Geoff moved out the computer that was in here so that I could use my laptop. I put my accolade award on the desk next to it.
Geoffrey recommends that I skip the next term, which would've been my last one. That means I've lost my scholarships, but it doesn't matter. I have plenty of money thanks to my books, and speaking of books, writing is pretty much all I do all day.
"Yeah." Yeah, sure, I'm not doing anything, I think sarcastically. He's going to come in and distract me, making me lose my train of thought.
"Yeah. I finally am able to put it somewhere." I wait for him to say something else.
"Okay. Uh, well, I thought I'd let you know I'm home if you needed anything."
"Thanks. Just editing here so I can send it off."
"That's great that you can write like that."
I don't know if he means that it gives me a sense of purpose or he thinks it's cool I have a talent for something. "Yeah," I reply laconically.
He stands there for a moment longer before turning and leaving me in peace.
Though I must admit, sometimes I wonder if I hear footsteps stop on the landing and stay there for a while.
Maybe I'm being paranoid.
During the day, I mostly stay in my room unless I need to get something to eat. My days are spent writing and editing.
My nights are filled with horrible dreams where cameras are pointed in my face and people ask me questions they have no right to ask. I hate my dreams.
This morning, though, I decide to make breakfast. Bruno keeps me company, chatting away as he waits for the bacon and eggs.
I'm not having much luck. I guess I don't have a high cooking skill. I haven't had much of a chance to build it up yet.
The damn eggs won't stop trying to become one with the pan.
"Good morning, Daddy!" Bruno says behind me.
"Alice is making breakfast!" Bruno replies happily while I fight with the eggs.
"What a nice surprise." I can hear the smile in his voice.
"Don't get your hopes up," I tell him. He doesn't get to respond because his son grabs his attention.
"Daddy, can I have a motorcycle?"
"Uh, no. They're dangerous, not to mention ten is way too young."
"I'll be eleven next month! And I'm mature for my age! You said!"
"Mature or not, the answer is no."
I interrupt. "Breakfast is ready." I unceremoniously dump the battered and scorched eggs onto the serving platter.
Bruno comes to get a plate. Geoff does not.
"Yes, and WHEN YOU'RE OLD ENOUGH, w... I'll buy you a nice, new, safe car."
"Motorcycles are cool, and they're safe. I'll even take defensive driving classes." He puts his plate on the counter island and takes a seat next to Geoff. "I've researched it."
"No, they're not safe, Bruno, and you're not getting one."
"I'll bet Alice thinks they're cool." Uh oh.
"I am not involved in this," I reply coolly.
He puts a forkful of eggs into his mouth. "These eggs are burned. But the bacon's good. I like it crispy."
I slap my fork onto my plate and get up to wash my dish, the food unfinished.
"I finished it. Mailing it off today." And now I don't have anything to do.
"That's wonderful!" He obviously hasn't noticed my mood.
I hear Bruno behind me get up to dump the rest of his breakfast in the trash before coming over next to me to wash his plate. "I'm going to go get ready for school." He pauses. "Daddy, she's sad." Then he leaves the room.
Geoffrey says my name in question and gets up from the bar stool. He turns me to face him.
I hate pouting, but I can't hide how down I'm feeling right now. "I have nothing to do now, for starters."
"Sure you do. There are all kinds of things to do in this house. Feel free to use the workout equipment in my room if you want. Or... you could write another book? Take online classes?"
"And speaking of book, the first one's selling like mad, especially since my publisher told everyone I've got a sequel coming up."
"It's only selling because of the negative publicity."
"Don't focus on that." He fixes a stray hair of mine. "The point is that it's selling. Before long, people will forget the bad stuff." He bends his knees to get in my line of sight. "Okay?"
I nod.
He takes a breath. "There. It'll be fine." Pause. "Do you, uh, wanna go somewhere tonight? You know, test and see if people still bother you?"
I shake my head. "No. I don't think it's been long enough."
He looks down. "Okay." His head pops back up. "I could take the day off. We could hang out and play chess."
I actually smile now. "I'll be fine, Geoffrey." I move to walk past him. "Maybe I WILL start another book. I can at least brainstorm. Maybe I'll binge a television show. Don't waste your days off."
As I leave the kitchen, I hear him mumbling, probably saying it wouldn't be a waste. He's already doing enough for me. I can't have him babysit me day and night.
After I practically throw him out of the house, I go up to have a soak in the bathtub.
Maybe I could write a non-romance novel, something where the main character realizes dating is a waste of time and that she doesn't need it. Why aren't there more books like that?
The bath is fabulous, and when I get out, I put on a new dress.
I spend the day brainstorming, mostly doing a thought-vomit document on the computer. I make and eat a decent salad, and then I have a seat on the porch to people-watch.
You know, this really is kind of cute. With barely any imagination, I could pretend we're a family. I banish the idea, though.
"Why are you sitting here?" he asks in an almost-whisper, his eyes shut as if to block me out.
"Because it's fun to watch people on the sidewalk." I pause, seeing him breathe deeply. "I was also contemplating what archetype my main character should be." I gesture to the street even though he's not looking. "So, people-watching."
"What if someone saw you?"
"Damn, Geoffrey. Get a grip. They can't really see me, and if something happens, I'll just go inside the house." I smile to try and get him to ease up. Sure, I'm not ready to get in a crowd, but him objecting to this is ridiculous.
He wears a sheepish expression. "Okay, okay. You're right, of course. I just don't know what to think sometimes. I mean, are you ready to get out in public yet or not?"
"This isn't in public."
"Okay." He looks down at my dress then blinks hard. Then he exhales, turns away, and runs his fingers through his hair. "I'm going to go change out of the penguin suit and take a shower."
"Okay." I give him a half-smile to show I'm not mad or anything.
The sun sets, and later, I find him sitting out back.



























No comments:
Post a Comment