Tomorrow brings the Simmy Awards, and I've been nominated for one of my books!
I arrive at the venue early, thrilled the bouncer let me pass, and then
I sit and wait. I barely remember writing the book. I'd squeezed it in
between classes, homework, and Don. It was the first book I sent in to
an actual publisher, and immediately, it got me nominated. This is
DEFINITELY not how the real world works, but this isn't the real world.
Glittering stars start entering the building, and I inwardly gasp as I realize I haven't changed into formal wear yet.
No.
Ugh, I'm not listening to my negative voice right now. I'm at an awards
ceremony, whether it's real or not, it's real to me right now.
I have a seat on the back row. They announce winners of film stuff
first. When they finally get around to writers, my mouth drops as I hear
my name!
Time flies. I make A's again, even though one of them is not an A+. A new term starts, and with it, new residents to the dorms. I'm drawn to one in particular.
"So how do you like the dorms?" I ask. I have to talk about something, after all.
"It's fine. I just miss my dog."
I have no real clue what else we talk about; I only know we keep talking. Maybe Don wanting to see other people isn't a bad thing. I could DEFINITELY go for this guy in front of me if he shows any interest. Right now, though, he mostly looks like he wants me to leave him to finish his homework.
"Well, if you need anything, I'm right next door." I smile and leave the room.
"Sure thing." He has a great smile.
We encounter each other at breakfast the next day.
I'm having yogurt. I'm starting to pack on a few pounds, so I'm hoping that eating light will help slow it down.
Do I say something? I don't know if he's noticed me yet. "Good morning, Gerald."
His eyes slowly drag themselves off the screen. "Oh, Alice! Hi! Sorry. I was just engrossed in this research."
I smile. "What did you say your major was again?"
"Computer science. You're literature, right?" The cookie next to him starts rotting, but we both ignore it.
I guess we DID talk about it yesterday. "Yeah." I flip my hair. "I'm already a published author and everything. I got a Starlight Accolade award the other day." Am I bragging?
He chuckles. "Wow, I didn't know I was sitting at the table with someone famous."
I purse my lips with a kind of 'get real' look on my face, but ironically. "Oh, please. I'm not famous. I don't know HOW I got that thing, but it WAS pretty cool to be around all those truly famous people."
"I'll have to read your book some time. What's it called? What genre?"
"It's fiction. Twilight Werewolves." I blush sheepishly. "I didn't really think it was anything special, but apparently, teen girls ate it up." I pause. "Maaaaaybe it's not your thing."
He laughs heartily. "Nonsense. I'd like to read it. I know the author, after all." He winks.
Yeah, there's life after Don Lothario. "Don't say I didn't warn you." I giggle. Ask me out! I hope the message shows up in my eyes. I'm not sure how he'd react to me asking HIM out.
He clicks the computer keys in a mad rush, staring at the screen. "There it is." He makes a dramatic click with the mouse, his eyes darting back and forth from the screen to me. A slight smile plays about his handsome face. "Boom. There. Ordered a hard copy."
My mouth drops. "What! I'm not sitting here trying to sell myself." I pause then blush profusely. "Wait, I mean..."
He manages to regain control and leans his elbow on the table, his fingers partially covering his smile. "Do I?"
"Yes. I would hope so." I playfully glare. "Now, I have to get to class." Not a lie, unfortunately. "Again, don't say I didn't warn you," I tell him as I get up to leave.
"I like to make my own decisions," he replies cryptically, and I'd swear he was checking out my butt as I walk away.
I'd say that went well, even WITH my embarrassing comment. I grin all the way to class.
Yes, I'd say there's life after Don.
After class lets out, I have a text:
I miss you
Crap. Don.


.png)






No comments:
Post a Comment