Even though I've been pretty much avoiding Don, he still appears one day when I go to check the mail.
In his hands, he holds a gift for me.
I look at the gift--in the grey wrapping paper--and take it with a small smile. "Thank you." I open it. It's a DJ Candy MySims figurine.
His smile looks apologetic. "Like I said, it isn't much."
"No, it's great. I much prefer that I don't get things like chocolate and flowers." Chocolate makes me fat, and flowers just end up wilting.
He smiles for real now. "I know. You said that once. So, instead of candy, I got you DJ Candy."
I giggle. "Oh, I get it now!"
People start flooding the common area. I think one of the roommates is throwing a party. I go and get a drink, and Don meets me back by the elevator again.
He's being weird. I don't think I like it. An uneasy knot forms in my stomach. "What?"
"Are you... happy... with the way things are?"
"Huh?" I scowl.
"Well... I was wondering about the whole exclusivity thing. I'll be honest with you, Alice. I've never been one to do ...this." He won't look me in the eyes.
"Oh." I take a sip of my drink, thinking. Then, I ask, "So, who is it you're wanting to also date?"
"What? No one!"
For some reason, my budding anger evaporates. I mean, this IS Don Lothario. What did I expect?
Besides, I remind myself, it isn't real, remember?
"No. Alice. I don't think you DO understand." He sighs and puts his hand on his forehead. "And I don't know how to explain it to you."
"Sure I do. You want to open up the relationship just in case you meet someone and want to pursue that while still seeing me."
His lips form a line.
"I've never had to try to explain this to someone before. I've never really wanted to, either. But I LIKE you, Alice."
"I don't know, Don. You're starting to make me think the opposite."
I continue, "You act like one minute you want to break up. Then you say you want to stay together. You say you like me, but I also feel like you're pushing me away."
He sighs, and his shoulders slump. "I know. And I'm sorry. I know I'm not making any sense. Plum, I barely make sense to myself."
Off to my left, what looks like Geoffrey Landgraab is talking about where to find the best vacuum cleaner to someone else who looks vaguely familiar.
Don grabs my attention again. "Perhaps I need some time to go and think about how to say what I mean to say."
"Sure." Well, I guess that's that. Don is conflicted, and I don't want to change him. At the same time, the rejection stings.
He lightly kisses my cheek before walking to the elevator and disappearing.
I have a seat and finish my drink. I have homework to do, but I don't have the motivation right now. Eventually, most of the crowd goes to the living room area to watch something on television. I assume I'm alone until I hear a baritone voice.
"Now why would someone as lovely as you be sitting here all by your lonesome like this?"
I look up. It's Geoffrey Landgraab.
I smile and blurt out something random, "I'm contemplating the best way to prepare grilled cheese." Eh, it's a sim thing.
Quickly, I try to remember everything I can about Geoffrey Landgraab. Like Don, his family was introduced in Sims 2, but I never played that household much. I wasn't interested in the 'real estate' thing Maxis was trying to do in the game. I went in and set up Malcolm with someone then got bored and went back to Don. One thing I DO remember, though: Geoffrey is good whereas Malcolm is evil. I'm good, right? Sure. Sure, I am. At any rate, I feel very at ease in Mr. Landgraab's presence.
His eyebrow raises, and the corners of his lips quirk. "I could give you my favorite recipe." He has a seat, and we sit and talk for hours. He gets me laughing in minutes, which, after Don's behavior, is a real boon to my attitude. We become fast friends, and by the time the party ends, I'm in a much better mood.
As I get ready to go to sleep, I once again ponder my situation. I may never escape this. Perhaps when I die in this world, I'll wake up in the real one and it'll be time to give my presentation (which I've all but forgotten about). Perhaps I'll never see the real world again at all.
And then there's the Don thing. Sure, his floundering stung, but I should've expected nothing less. It's how he is, and I don't want to change him.
So what do I do now? I sigh and decide to wait and see what tomorrow brings.









No comments:
Post a Comment